Himalayan Salt Room FAQ
Schedule an Appointment Today Call A Wondering Spirit 413-224-1008
1. What is a Himalayan Dry Salt Therapy?
Himalayan Dry Salt Room is a holistic, drug free, natural beach like experience using micro particles of salt to promote better breathing, healthier skin, sounder sleep, improved physical fitness and endurance and overall wellness. Dry salt visits also help to alleviate symptoms of many respiratory and skin conditions.
2. How does it work?
Salt has the following properties:
- Mucolytic effects: loosens excessive mucus and speeds up mucociliary transport
- Removes pathogen agents (airborne pollen)
- Reduces IgE level (immune system oversensitivity)
The salt is grounded into tiny micro particles by our state-of-the-art halo-generator and then dispersed into the salt room or bed. While relaxing in one of our salt rooms or beds, customers inhale the dry, salt-enriched air deep down into the lungs, where the healing benefits do their greatest healing. The salt widens the airways and loosens the mucus, which begins to clear quickly, and inflammation is reduced, which makes more room in the airways for you to breathe. Symptoms subside, sometimes for up to 12 months. The non-inhaled particles landing on the skin help to balance pH and induce the reparative and regenerative processes in the skin, increasing rigidity and stimulating cell growth and microcirculation.
Specific to our salt rooms, we use Himalayan salt lamps and cover the floor in Himalayan salt to generate negative ions, which help to counterbalance the influx of positive ions from the many electronic devices we use every day. This improves your overall mental and emotional health, helping you to relax and de-stress.
3. What should I expect to experience in a Himalayan Salt Room?
Our beautiful and spacious salt room allows for dry salt vists to be experienced alone or in a group setting. The large room simulates the environment of a salt cave, with Himalayan salt covering the walls to calm the mind and body by releasing negative ions.
- Negative ions counterbalance the many positive ions we pick up from electronic devices like cell phones, tablets, etc. Neutralizing the atmosphere in this way stabilizes mood, decreases stress and prepares the body for ultimate healing.
A salt room session last 25 minutes and requires no more than lying back in a comfortable recliner and breathing deeply. Micro particles of salt are dispersed into the room by the halo-generator while you relax, read, listen to music, sleep or meditate.
4. What clothing should be worn in the salt room?
Comfortable clothing is recommended for the salt room. You may change into clothing that exposes areas of skin you would like the salt to reach (shorts, sleeveless shirts, skirts, etc).
5. What are the side effects?
Since Himalayan dry salt room is 100% natural and drug free, there are no negative side effects. After sessions, you may experience a slight cough, minor tightness in the chest or runny nose, but this is simply the salt doing its work to remove mucus and toxins from the lungs and airways.
6. How often should you come?
- Depending on age and stage of your condition, 20-30 sessions are recommended for long term results.
- The sessions should be frequent; about two or three a week is suggested.
- For irreversible conditions, two to three-month follow-up sessions are recommended to maintain the clear lungs.
In most visitors, after a course of Himalayan Dry Salt room visits, airways become normal and symptoms disappear. The visits efficacy is estimated at 75-98%. Most clients do 1-2 Salt visit courses a year. In between they might come back for some top-up sessions, if they start to feel poorly, e.g. they are coming down with a cold.
7. Who can benefit from a Himalayan Salt Room?
Dry Salt therapy is like a toothbrush for your lungs and skin, EVERYONE can (and will) benefit. It is a (total) detox for the following conditions:
- Breathlessness and Chest Tightness
- Bronchial Infections
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Chronic Sinusitis
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Hay Fever
- Sinus Inflammation
- Smoker’s Cough
- Dry and Flaky Skin
8. Himalayan Salt room can significantly help to:
- Reduce the need for inhalers and antibiotics
- Make your breathing easier after just a few sessions
- Improve lung function
- Reduce the number of hospital admissions
- Alleviate sneezing, coughing, and shortness of breath
- Clear mucus and sticky phlegm from the lungs
- Increase the resistance to respiratory tract diseases
- Strengthen your immune system
- Prolong remission times
9. Is Himalayan Salt Room safe for children?
Yes. Himalayan Dry Salt therapy is a completely drug-free treatment for children and adults. Children as young as 3 months have benefitted greatly and respond quickly and effectively to Halotherapy. Children are more prone to respiratory problems because they pick up more viruses and their lungs are not fully developed until about the age of 9. In addition, the environment is filled with pollutants which children have a harder time keeping at bay.
10. Is salt therapy safe for pregnant women?
Yes. Himalayan Dry Salt therapy is a great choice for women who do not want to rely heavily on over-the-counter or prescribed medication for sinusitis, asthma, allergies, and other respiratory illnesses. Pregnant women who have come to BREATHE have experienced relief for their congestion and chronic respiratory problems. In addition, the ionized salt particles help boost their immune system.
11. Should I stop using my medication during salt room visits?
No. Himalayan Dry Salt Therapy should be used as a complementary treatment. People who come to BREATHE often find that they can reduce their dependence on certain medications and that their episodes are not as frequent or severe. However, you should always follow your doctor's advice and your prescribed medication regimen.
12. Why is Dry Salt Himalayan Therapy more effective than Wet Salt Therapy?
Amongst Himalayan Dry Salt rooms there are wet salt rooms, which claiming to be just as effective. This is not true.
Wet salt uses a saline solution that is evaporated into the air and breathed in by clients or used as a method of nasal irrigation. Wet salt only reaches the upper airways and sticks to the nose and mouth, not reaching the throat or the deepest part of the lungs and sinuses. This reduces the salt’s 'phlegm dissolving' properties because it does not get to the places where the salt’s effect would be most needed- in the deepest part of your lungs. This is why spending a few days on the beach is less effective than an hour in a dry aerosol salt room.
With our Dry Salt Technology not only is the salt concentration of the air in the salt room ideal for all clients, but the particle sizes are also calculated to make the therapy as beneficial as possible to everyone whether they are suffering from a skin condition or a disease that affects the deepest part of the lungs.